The Academy Day
Learning often takes place in longer lessons or learning sessions. It would not be uncommon for a student’s timetabled day to consist of just two extended learning sessions. The timetable is designed with several classes in a subject running at the same time, ‘blocked’ to enable staff to work creatively with students in terms of how structured and delivered.
Student ‘down-time’ from moving between lessons is at a minimum, removing any unnecessary distraction away from learning.
Longer learning sessions are broken up by a morning break (breakfast) and an afternoon break (lunch) and students have the opportunity and dedicated space for recreational activity at these times.
Every student is encouraged to participate in ‘session three’ of extra-curricular or enrichment activity.
There may be variations to the academy day during the external GCSE and GCE exam seasons when the academy moves to two lunch sessions to accommodate the 1pm exam start.
Key Stage 3 Key Features
Students at Key Stage 3 follow a broad range of subjects:
- Creative Arts
- Modern Foreign Languages
Key Stage 3 Sample Timetable
Numeracy / Maths
Key Stage 4 Key Features
- Over 18 hours per week for core subjects: English, Maths, Science and PE
- 8 hours per week for option subjects
- Options subjects: broad mixture of academic and vocational qualifications
- Options in science include separate and combined science courses
- Opportunities for students to have extra 'booster' time for English and/or Maths
Key Stage 4 Sample Timetable
|Option B||Option B|